Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 10 mins | Total time: 20 mins
- 400g silken to medium-firm tofu
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small orange or red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Juice of ¼ lemon
- 400g black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 small handful of baby spinach leaves
- 50g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- Chilli sauce, to taste
- Dry the tofu with kitchen paper and break it into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan, and cook the onion over a medium heat until soft. Add the garlic, pepper, cumin and turmeric and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes, or until the pepper is soft. Add a splash of water if the pan becomes dry.
- Add the remaining oil and the tofu and cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes. Gently turn over the tofu pieces as they cook, but not too often as they need time to caramelise.
- When the tofu is golden, squeeze over the lemon juice and scrape up the crusty bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the beans, spinach then toss the ingredients together and cook for about 2 minutes, or until the beans are warmed through and the yeast melted.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with coriander and a splash of chilli sauce (if using).